Health, according to the World Health Organization (WHO) is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. Infact, WHO links health with well-being and conceptualize it as a human right that requires physical and social resources to achieve and maintain.
Based on the above assertion, the Abdul Jimoh Muhammed led administration in Kwara State Polytechnic, Ilorin, decided to take the bull by the horn by revitalizing the Polytechnic Medical Centre. The WHO concept of health moves the Rector to provide necessary equipment for effective out-patient and in-patient services for students, staff and members of the neighboring communities as part of the Institutions Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
The determination of the Rector to provide access to sound health for the Polytechnic Community geared the following initiatives: -
- Repair of Laboratory equipment plus procurement of Laboratory reagents and consumables to enhance the functionality of the Laboratory for all and sundry.
- Purchase of different types of drugs at pocket friendly rate by staff and people from the neighboring communities.
- Procurement of physiotherapy body massage machine.
- Re-introduction of Students' Medical Fitness and issuance of Medical Certificate.
- Provision of solar light for use during office hours.
- Free medical screening for staff.
- Provision of pipe-borne water (bore-hole) at the Medical Centre.
- Provision of solar street light for illumination of the environment at night.
- Free medical consultation and counselling.
- Engagement of contracted Medical personnel for effective service delivery among others.